The Manager, Marketing Legal and Regulatory Compliance is responsible for ensuring that marketing-related programs, products, and practices in place at US Greystar-managed properties and in other areas of the US Greystar organization adhere to and comply with the applicable legal and regulatory requirements governing the marketing discipline, including key areas such as intellectual property, fair housing, digital accessibility, data privacy, cookie compliance, broker compliance, and affordable compliance. The position stays abreast of developments and changes within the legal and regulatory arena, anticipates areas of potential marketing risk for Greystar and for its clients, and assists in developing and executing strategies, policies, and processes for mitigating risk and complying with legal requirements. The Manager, Marketing Legal and Regulatory Compliance engages and partners with the Company's internal legal resources and external legal counsel as needed to research and respond to lawsuits, claims, inquiries, or complaints related to marketing programs, products, and practices, and coordinates with real estate operations, local and regional marketing teams, and marketing vendors and service providers to track, manage, and report on risk mitigation and legal compliance efforts.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Lead and manage the execution of strategies, policies, and processes that ensure marketing-related programs, products, and practices in place at US Greystar-managed properties and in other areas of the US Greystar organization adhere to and comply with applicable legal and regulatory requirements governing the marketing discipline. Understand and apply the Company's risk management and risk tolerance philosophies to establish standards, parameters, and protocols for creating and enforcing compliance-related policies
- Engage and partner with the Company's internal legal resources, real estate operations, and local marketing team members to create and implement policies and processes that mitigate risk and ensure legal and regulatory compliance in areas such as fair housing, intellectual property, digital accessibility, data privacy and security, cookie compliance, broker compliance, affordable housing compliance, and other local and/or state requirements.
- Stay abreast of proposed changes and developments from and within legal and regulatory bodies that impact or govern marketing practices to anticipate and identify potential risks to current and proposed marketing programs, products, and services, access internal and external legal resources as needed to research, investigate, and make recommendations for response strategies, and follow through as needed to create and implement new or enforce existing policies and processes to ensure compliance.
- Review and audit contracts and agreements with preferred and contracted marketing suppliers for their policies and processes that address areas of exposure, ensure legal compliance, and reduce or mitigate risk and avoid exposure to Greystar and the clients of its managed properties, and oversee, monitor, and manage supplier compliance with Greystar-established policies and procedures.
- Act as a marketing point-of-contact for cross-functional teams and other organizational efforts to identify potential areas of overlap, and ensure consistency across operating policies, property management agreements, and other practices.
- Create, develop, and deliver guidelines, resources, communications, and other educational documents and materials, and lead instructional programs to educate and inform team members and business leaders about established standards, policies, processes, and procedures to ensure the Company's compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, and consult with and assist business leaders in responding to client questions, concerns, and requests related to compliance at managed properties.
- Develop, implement, and manage systems and technologies, to track, monitor, and report on compliance goals, assist in researching, investigating, responding to and resolving inquiries, claims, lawsuits, and complaints related to marketing compliance, and initiate response strategies, including creating, enacting, and enforcing new or updated policies and procedures to correct deficiencies and mitigate future risk.
- [May] recruit, interview, hire, develop, and manage team members by following and complying with the Company's human resource policies, processes, and practices, and by demonstrating effective leadership behaviors that align with the Greystar values and philosophies around People and that foster and promote a positive, productive, and engaging work environment.
- Evaluate opportunities for developing and deploying compliance service "bundles" for US property managed communities and opportunities to recover company investments through income generation agreements with service providers.
- Seek and use client and team member feedback to create and implement changes to policies, processes, practices, standards, and marketing services to improve the property support experience, and to drive greater efficiency, effectiveness, and operational excellence within the business group.
- Maintain a current knowledge of marketing-related programs, products, services, initiatives, and technologies in place or proposed for the Company, particularly those implemented within the US Property Management division's managed properties. Know and stay informed about the Company's legal and regulatory compliance priorities, philosophies, and risk management practices, and maintain relationships with internal legal resources.
- Build, establish, and access a network of experts and professionals inside and outside of the marketing and real estate industries and attend or participate in conferences, professional associations, and other events that contribute to professional growth. Set and communicate standards for team member participation in activities that support their professional growth and development and discipline expertise.
- Follow and oversee team member compliance with the Company's established operating, systems, financial, and human resources policies and procedures, and meet Company and departmental standards and requirements related to job performance.
- Personally practice proper safety techniques, follow the Company's risk and safety policies and procedures, and immediately report any team member or visitor injuries, accidents, or other safety-related issues to the appropriate individual(s). Ensure team member awareness of and compliance with safety protocols and procedures.
- Continually identify and act on opportunities for improving the level and quality of service provided by the National Marketing function, and lead efforts that improve the function's efficiency, effectiveness, productivity, and overall contributions to the Company.
- Incumbents will work in a Greystar or home-office, or a hybrid model.
- Incumbents must be able to view computer screens, paper documents, reports, and other written materials for extended periods of time where visual strain may result.
- Occasional travel within the US may be required to attend business meetings, training sessions, conferences, or other situations necessary to accomplish all or parts of the daily responsibilities of this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Bachelor's degree or comparable experience in marketing, advertising, communications, general business, or a related field. 3-5+ years' experience working within a marketing-related business group with the opportunity to build knowledge about legal exposure, risk, and regulatory challenges within marketing programs and products. Very good knowledge of marketing products and services currently designed for use in multifamily property management operations is highly preferred for this position.
- Strong project and process management skills and a proven track record in successfully leading and managing teams (including cross-functional teams) that execute the completion of multiple activities, tasks, and processes according to specified timelines, legal standards, and defined outcomes.
- Proven ability to assess, define, and understand organizational needs, develop comprehensive project plans, establish key milestones and define metrics and key performance indicators, and direct a team through to project implementation.
- Ability to access databases and retrieve, analyze, and interpret data, and skilled at developing reports, narratives, and graphics that clearly communicate key findings and trends. Keen idea for detail and critical thinking and problem skills to address data-driven challenges.
- Solid written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills, with a strong customer-centric orientation. Must be experienced in interacting with team members from multiple functional disciplines and different job levels, as well as building and maintaining productive relationships with external legal counsel, marketing vendors and suppliers, and business leaders throughout the Company. Excellent ability to use tact and diplomacy to influence behaviors, enforce policy compliance, and build consensus to solve problems.
- Excellent leadership and people-management skills, with solid experience in acquiring and developing talent, building and managing teams comprised of diverse team members, and promoting a productive and energized work climate that encourages team member growth, engagement, and retention. Some experience in managing through performance issues and conflicts, and coaching and mentoring line level team members.
- Skilled and comfortable in using digital and online software and apps to accomplish work, manage and organize time, and communicate, including the ability to use Microsoft products such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and TEAMS, email, and virtual meeting software.
The salary range for this position is $80,000 - $90,000.
The base compensation rate will vary based on education, experience, skills, and geographic location, as applicable.
Greystar seeks to attract, recruit, advance and retain top talent. Greystar's compensation strategy is tailored to appropriately reward the skillset and experience that a team member will bring to the organization.
Depending on the position offered, regular full-time and part-time team members may be eligible to participate in a bonus program in addition to their salary. Team members may also participate in the 401k plan, once eligible. Regular, full-time team members are offered a range of medical, financial, and other benefits from which to choose.
For Union and Prevailing Wage roles compensation and benefits may vary from the listed information above due to Collective Bargaining Agreements and/or local governing authority.
Greystar will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.