Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Carnegie Mellon University is a private, global research university that challenges the curious and passionate to deliver work that matters. Our world-class institution has distinctive areas of excellence and culture marked by passion, ambition and a deep, practical engagement with challenges facing society. University Communications and Marketing is seeking a Content Strategist to join our team.
The Content Strategist will work in the areas of search engine optimization, content creation, and information architecture, partnering with team members to create, edit and optimize websites.
Note this is a fixed term position, full-time hours through June 30. 2023.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Works to assess digital needs, provide a strategic plan for meeting those needs, and completes the plan
- Write and edit content, working with communications and creative colleagues to ensure consistent messaging and visual identity
- Search engine optimization, using digital marketing tools such as MOZ to track the university's priority keywords against its peer set, and then making revisions to CMU web content to improve its ranking with search engines
- Build websites and webpages within university content management systems, including choosing appropriate visuals and copyediting with attention to web writing standard processes
- Create websites and webpages with a focus on the user experience, using tools to craft and improve the user journey
- Use analytics data and SEO best practices to inform content creation and make recommendations based on analysis
Adaptability, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within University Communications & Marketing. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of diverse audiences. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
- Search engine optimization skills
- Knowledge of UX standard processes
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Knowledge of information architecture best-practices
- Knowledge of Google Analytics or other analytics platform
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Basic image editing (cropping, resizing, etc.) experience
- Web accessibility knowledge
- Bachelor's degree in digital marketing, communications or other relevant field is preferred.
- At least 2 years of experience is required in one or a combination of the following areas:
- Search engine optimization experience
- Web Writing
- Content Strategy
- Project Management (experience managing small to large scale projects)
- Successful background check
Interested in this opportunity? Apply today!
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university's current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Web Design and Graphic Services
Staff - Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Full Time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance