Job Description: Marketing Manager Reports To: Director, Marketing FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt Location: Alexandria, VA
Background The National School Boards Association (NSBA) is a federation of state associations and the U.S. territory of the Virgin Islands that represent locally elected school board officials serving approximately 51 million public school students regardless of their disability, ethnicity, socio- economic status or citizenship. Working with and through our state association members, NSBA advocates for equity and excellence in public education through school board leadership.
We believe that public education is a civil right necessary to the dignity and freedom of the American people and that each child deserves equitable access to an education that maximizes their individual potential.
Position Summary The Marketing Manager is responsible for all marketing initiatives that assist in growing membership, participation, and engagement within the Association. This position builds strong relationships internally with staff, state association marketing staffs. and vendors. The Marketing Manager is knowledgeable about Association goals in order to develop appropriate marketing strategies. The Marketing Manager plans and creates all marketing materials and oversees marketing tasks and projects, including branding, event promotion, digital communications, and content management. To be successful in this role, one must clearly express NSBA’s value proposition in succinct and creative ways using a variety of communication channels In integrated campaigns. This position will report to the Director of Marketing.
Primary Responsibilities • Develop marketing plans; deploying successful marketing campaigns owning implementation from ideation to execution, to ensure goals and objectives are accomplished.
• Oversee development of marketing tactics, by both internal and external creatives, tactics including traditional and emerging channels
• Measure and report on the performance of marketing campaigns, gain insights and assess against goals
• Build strategic relationships and partner with internal constituents, agencies and vendors
• Optimize email success through management and deployment of campaigns, ongoing testing and metric review
• Determine target markets and manage audiences/list development
• Experience with a variety of organic and paid acquisition channels like content curation, pay per click campaigns, event management, social media, lead generation campaigns, copywriting, performance analysis
• Prepare and monitor marketing budget
• Performs other duties, including staff supervision, as assigned
In addition to the standard benefits NSBA offers (medical, dental, vision, matching retirement contributions), we also offer some perks that make working at NSBA even more enjoyable.
• Flexible Work Schedules: At NSBA, a 35-hour week constitutes fulltime employment. Core business hours are between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., but you may vary your work hours to start as early as 8 a.m. or as late as 10 a.m. with supervisor approval.
• Teleworking: Avoid D.C. area traffic and work in the comfort of your own home. Most employees are eligible for teleworking privileges after six months of continuous employment.
• Vacation Time Hard work earns well-deserved breaks. New employees receive 15 days of vacation and four paid personal days per year. NSBA also observes 11 paid holidays and gives employees generous paid sick leave.
• Location, Location, Location: Located in the historic Old Town neighborhood of Alexandria, the NSBA office enjoys close proximity to numerous dining, cultural and retail opportunities.
Many employees use breaks to walk around the Alexandria African-American Heritage Park, relax on a park bench in Carlyle Square or grab lunch at a nearby restaurant.
• Subsidized Parking: Our office is near the King St-Old Town Metro Station and Alexandria Union Amtrak Station. We also subsidize public transportation and off-site parking costs. If you prefer to travel by two wheels instead of four, take advantage of the bike rack in our building's parking lot.
COVID-19 considerations: To safely and effectively meet the public health challenge presented by COVID-19, except for essential team members, the NSBA team is working remotely with plans to return to the office March 2022.
Qualifications & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business, or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience; MBA preferred.
• Direct experience with digital marketing
• Experienced association marketing professional
• Proven project management experience
• Strong copywriting skills
• Knowledge of design and print processes and concepts
• Ability to work collegially across the association to accomplish time- and revenue-driven priorities
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
NSBA is a federation of state associations and the U.S. territory of the Virgin Islands that represents locally elected school board officials serving approximately 50 million public school students regardless of their disability, ethnicity, socio-economic status or citizenship. Working with, through, and for our state association members, NSBA advocates for equity and excellence in public education through school board leadership.