The Associate Director for Technology Licensing & Marketing will report to the Executive Director of the University’s Technology Commercialization (Tech Comm) team. This role has primary leadership and management responsibility for the Technology Licensing & Marketing team which is responsible for creating license agreements with external entities that allow commercialization of UMN research inventions.
Roles and Responsibilities:
TEAM LEADERSHIP AND STRATEGIC PLANNING (40%) Responsible for all day to day and strategic functions of the Technology Licensing & Marketing team. Activities in support of this include:
- Establishing annual metrics, initiatives and priorities, tracking performance, and adjusting goals and priorities to be consistent with Tech Comm and University goals. - Working closely with Tech Comm leaders on strategies and tactics. - Communicating team activities and performance to others in Tech Comm, Office of VP for Research, and UMN. - Allocating available resources (personnel, time, effort, budget) consistent with goals and objectives. - Leading the development and implementation of new business initiatives. - Seeking collaborative relationships with internal and external partners critical to team success. - Obtaining input from key external stakeholders and customers. - Identifying and resolving issues (personnel, operations, process, procedure) impeding unit success. - Fostering an environment of high expectations, high performance, and team cohesion.
EXTERNAL BUSINESS RELATIONSHIPS (25%) Provides a lead role in working with external business executives ensuring a strong partnership between the business community and Tech Comm. Activities in support of this include but are not limited to:
- Establishing relationships with key business leaders and organizations that focus on translating inventions and research information. - Attending local, regional and national events. - Serving as a key contact for opportunity and issue management with external organizations. - Reviewing and signing agreements and licenses, consistent with approved signature authority. - Maintain awareness of the status of the team’s agreements and provide account management.
STAFF SUPERVISION AND EVALUATION (20%) Responsible for personnel management within the Technology Licensing & Marketing team. Activities in support of this include but are not limited to the following:
- Working with employees to create individual goals and objectives. - Giving regular feedback to each team member and conducting annual performance reviews. - Sourcing, qualifying, interviewing and hiring new employees for open positions. - Ensuring staff comply with all applicable Tech Comm and UMN policies and procedures.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED (15%) Responsible for ensuring efficient and productive relations exist between the team and other key UMN departments and partners. The Associate Director will represent Tech Comm in broader capacities as needed. Activities in support of this include but are not limited to:
- Reviewing and signing agreements and licenses, consistent with approved signature authority. - Working with Deans, Associate Deans, Department Heads, peers, faculty, and administration in support of UMN mission and Tech Comm goals. - Seeking input and alignment from key internal partners (General Counsel, Sponsored Projects, VP Research Communications Team, Research Deans, etc.). - Voting member for Intellectual Property investment decisions and Discovery Capital Steering Committee. - Representing Tech Comm at internal and external forums.
• Bachelor's Degree. • 12 or more years of business experience with 10 years of leadership and/or management roles in a technology or product based business or firm. • Strategic planning experience. • Strong organization skills with attention to detail and excellent written/verbal communication skills. • Ability to work both independently and with teams. • Creative thinker with the aptitude to initiate and implement new ways of improving technology transfer. • Proven excellence in successfully completing legal contracts and agreements.
• An MBA or other related advanced degree/coursework in business, technology, or leadership. • Experience with intellectual property – patents, copyrights, and trademarks. • Experience developing relationships with research faculty. • Experience within an academic institution. • Experience with start-ups or new ventures.
Internal Number: 334937
About University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.