Manager of Business Development & International Marketing
Summary: Reporting to the Maritime Director, the Manager of Business Development & International Marketing will seek opportunities for foreign markets by formulating and executing market entry strategies, increasing use of maritime facilities and assets by establishing targeted marketing programs to maintain current cargo growth and attracting cargo which presently flows through discretionary ports and gateways.
Key accountabilities include:
• Working with division managers to evaluate and develop pricing strategies for terminal agreements and/or publication in the Port’s tariff.
• Calling, developing and maintaining business and operational relationships with international and domestic ocean carriers, beneficial cargo owners, terminal operators, freight forwarders, railroads and other supply chain partners at the executive level.
• Traveling to global HQ offices of the Port’s business partners.
• Engaging customers proactively to attract new business opportunities through customer visits and attendance at meetings, conferences and seminars.
• Identifying, targeting and influencing major cargo flows using intermodal services to promote Oakland “gateway” routings.
• Manages (through staff) pricing analysis, procedures and regulation, commodity research and through the Maritime Director and other key division managers, develops the maritime business and international marketing plans.
• Manages (through staff) marketing activities targeting freight forwarders and third party logistics companies, investigating/developing rail backhaul opportunities, coordinates resolution of service issues.
Location: Oakland, CA
Client Company Profile:Port Authority
Compensation: Base salary: $169,980-$210,588 plus benefits.
To Apply:To Apply:Please submit resume and cover letter to Sue Dvonch, Shey-Harding Executive Search, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.shey-harding.com, (562) 252-8516.The close date for this search is Friday, October 11, 2019.Complete job description is available upon request.
Minimum Education Required: Bachelor’s Degree is required, and MBA is preferred.
Required Qualifications & Experience: This position requires a combination of education and experience reflecting possession of the required knowledge, skills and abilities.A typical combination would include a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree [an MBA is preferred] with course work in operations, business, economics, finance, transportation, marketing or logistics and a minimum of seven years of experience in management/supervision with an emphasis market development or marketing within a port, maritime industry or international trade marketing and price setting. Experience with railroad industry is desirable.
At least seven years of experience in a management/supervisory capacity with an emphasis on market development or marketing within a port authority maritime industry (ocean carrier, 3PL or forwarder) or international trade marketing setting.
Must have senior/executive level expertise in intermodal rail and marine terminal operations, tariff construction, documentation and pricing methods of West Coast Ports; thorough knowledge ofstandard accounting principles and practices and regulatory requirements for the FMC and STB; knowledge of major ocean carriers and BCO’s that utilize intermodal and/or ocean services; knowledge of vessel rotations and deployments in the Transpacific trade lanes and the North American rail, trucking and distribution network activities and terminals.
Internal Number: 83353
About Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland is a major container ship facility located in Oakland, California, in the San Francisco Bay. It was the first major port on the Pacific Coast of the United States to build terminals for container ships.