Department: Mason Learning Solutions
Director of Marketing
George Mason University Learning Solutions is seeking an experienced marketing professional to serve as their Director of Marketing. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Learning Solutions is committed to meeting the needs of organizations, agencies, and individuals through both alternative credit and noncredit professional development programs that are timely, relevant, and cost-effective. Learning Solutions strives to facilitate the development, promotion, and delivery of educational and training solutions which complement the academic strengths and expertise of the university. By providing innovative and diversified educational/training experiences, we enhance workforce development, organizational effectiveness, and economic development.
The Marketing Director reports to the Executive Director, will serve as the senior marketing leader in the organization, and will play a strong role in the achievement of the organization's objectives. Responsibilities include:
- Lead the continued development, refinement, and implementation of a strong strategic marketing plan that will increase awareness and credibility of the programs and the organization overall;
- Have accountability for driving inquiries, analyzing results, and constantly improving marketing return on investment;
- Manage a small internal team and outside agencies to support the delivery of the desired business results;
- Provide expertise, leadership, strategic thinking, and tactical expertise across multiple marketing arenas, including marketing communications, digital experience/website, lead generating activities, and brand building efforts;
- Work collaboratively with the business development team, program managers, and the Executive Director to understand marketing needs and develop solutions;
- Will be expected to make supportable recommendations that are both strategically sound and practical in execution, reflecting budgets, resources, and business objectives;
- Provide direction to the staff and agencies to execute the agreed upon plans;
- Serve as a trusted leader and partner in ensuring a full understanding and delivery of the objectives of the organization;
- Make recommendations for marketing initiatives that will cost-efficiently deliver the objectives of the organization;
- Collaborate effectively as part of the leadership team to develop solutions to maximize enrollments for each program, providing insights into target audiences and value propositions in order to develop and execute effective communications and go-to-market plans;
- Serve as the "translator" of the George Mason University brand to the Learning Solutions organization and efforts;
- Ensure a consistent and compelling delivery of the George Mason Learning Solutions overall value proposition and that of its key programs in order to consistently communicate a clear and compelling brand and benefit across all communications;
- Provide direction to ensure the website is always up-to-date and reflecting best practices for organic search, branding, functionality, and customer experience;
- Lead web team to a high level of performance and constant measurement of results;
- Define marketing success metrics, develop reporting plan, and report results regularly to the team, with recommendations for continuous improvement;
- Select and lead outside vendors to ensure budgets are spent efficiently to build the brand and support the enrollment goals;
- Constantly pursue new opportunities to increase awareness and consideration of George Mason Learning Solutions among its target audiences; and
- Identify and develop partnerships with organizations and associations that will result in valuable co-marketing initiatives.
- Master's degree;
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing marketing initiatives, including but not limited to e-mail, direct mail, digital (paid and organic), social media, content marketing, and collateral (7-10 years is preferred);
- Experience managing a marketing team, website, and outside agency (two or more years is preferred);
- Ability to continuously optimize website performance, paid and organic search, content marketing, collateral, landing pages, creative, and other marketing initiatives as recommended;
- Demonstrated ability to drive business results as an accountable leader in a relevant organization or industry;
- Proven ability to effectively work with internal clients and stakeholders;
- Exemplary communication skills;
- Ability to multitask; and
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Experience with both B2B and B2C marketing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; and
- Experience in a higher education setting.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check, Financial Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position numberFA552z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.