Business Director, NA Strategic Marketing and Portfolio Management Industrial Solutions - Florham Park-1700422
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best teamespecially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine and Glassdoor as one of America's Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens
The BASF division of Care Chemicals offers a broad range of ingredients for hygiene, personal care, home care, industrial & institutional cleaning, and technical applications. We are the leading supplier for the cosmetics industry as well as the detergents and cleaning agents industry and support our customers worldwide with innovative and sustainable products, solutions, and concepts. The division's high-performance product portfolio includes surfactants, emulsifiers, polymers, emollients, chelating agents, cosmetic active ingredients, pigments, and UV filters. Superabsorbents developed for the full spectrum of hygiene applications complete the range. We have production and development sites in all regions and are expanding our presence in emerging markets. Further information is available at www.care-chemicals.basf.com.
The Business Director Industrial Solutions has a dual role. The position is responsible for the sales, marketing and technical service, which includes actively participating in the creating and implementing of the regional strategic business plans in coordination with the global team. Focus is on achieving the strategic business unit objectives, including profitable growth, new product commercialization, and relationship development with key customers. Additionally, the role has global responsibility for Strategic Marketing and Portfolio Management.
The Business Director Industrial Solutions interfaces with all key internal functional areas, including Sales, Product Management, Applications/Technical Service, R&D, Controllership, Manufacturing, Customer Service, Distributor Management, across all business units regionally, as well as globally. The position also interfaces extensively with all level of individuals at key producers, customers and networks with industry colleagues.
Formula for success. You will.....
- Develop vision, mission, objectives, and regional strategies for the Industrial Solutions business consistent with and in coordination with the global Care Chemicals business objectives
- Manage a broad portfolio of products.
- Coordinate with global and regional team members within the business to identify, develop, implement and communicate the strategies, plans and programs needed to profitably achieve the business goals
- Prioritize resources required to achieve Industrial Solutions objectives, including directing Technical Service resources, as well as Marketing and Sales resources. Effectively communicate business priorities and insures alignment of internal resources, such as the Product Management, etc., to achieve business objectives
- In conjunction with the Marketing Sales and Technical Service Management, develop specific account strategies consistent with the overall business strategy in each targeted market. Identify and develop new business opportunities at existing and target accounts. Coordinate customer and distributor workshops and seminars. Manage high level customer relationships. Track and assess progress of specific account strategies. Make customer visits as appropriate. Read customer call reports. Develop and execute customer contracts.
- Manage a diverse team of professionals to achieve business objectives. The team includes Marketing, Technical Services and Sales managers and their respective teams. Development and monitoring of goals. implementation of merit increases, coaching, development, and training
- Monitor business results and performance on a monthly basis and develops action plans to address deviations from plan. Develop and implement pricing strategy across multiple industries and manage volume/product pricing consistent with business line goals, to achieve profitability targets; provides guidance to the Marketing Manager. Determine the need for price increases, provides information to team on justification, develops tools/training to sell a price increase. Must understand all aspects of P&L performance including: volumes, customer price/margin performance, product price/margin performance, variable cost/raw material trends, manufacturing costs, selling expenses and other fixed costs, etc.
- Through customer visits, training courses, market research, and trade journals, understand and stay current on trends for Industrial Solutions products across targeted industries. With the Marketing and Technical Managers, develop appropriate product portfolio strategy which supports the global business strategy.
- Drive strategy global definition and implementation in regions by supporting regional project teams. Initiate and lead activities to implement product portfolio strategies including: gap identification, targeting of new applications, new products, product discontinuations, etc. Generate ideas for new products and champions/internally sells the business justification for new product development programs. Internally communicate market trends and product line strategies to insure behavior consistent with the strategy by all functions, in particular Sales. Thoroughly understand technology and benefits of our product offerings and prices products in accordance with their performance and value.
- Steer global innovation pipeline and global portfolio positioning. Responsible for global product line strategies/planning
- Decide on and manage strategic partnerships
- Develop and implement long-term product group plan (investments, global supply/demand)
- Prioritize global asset investments. Create and update CAPEX plans and Co-Manufacturing agreements.
- Keep abreast of and communicates competitor activities, including pricing, products, strategies, etc. Assist in the gathering and assessment of market intelligence such as end-use market, competitive and customer information for application in NAFTA regional strategy development.
- Consolidate and share industry relevant information from Global Market Intelligence and regional Operational Marketing to contribute to overall market strategy per segment
Leadership Core Responsibilities:
- Coach and develop team members to reach their full potential
- Support development assignments and movement of talent across units
- Motivate and challenge to drive high performance
- Commit to "hiring the best" internally and externally
- Create an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity
- Execute performance and career development discussions
- Role model and enable development of competencies in others needed to implement BASF's strategy
- Establish and support a safety culture in which all accidents are preventable
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support youthe whole youin all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for success. What we look for in you..
- Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in Chemistry, Engineering or Business Management.
- MBA is preferred
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a combination of marketing, product management, sales and/or technical service roles is required
- Experience directly managing others required
- Experience with specialty business is required
- Work experience in a consumer oriented business is highly preferred
- Professional experience in a commercial and/or product management role supporting commercial and technical operations of chemical products is highly preferred
- Knowledge and active management/interaction experience in a global S&OP process is required. (sales and demand planning, supply chain, product management, etc.)
- Experience interfacing with global platforms including supply chain, logistics and product management organizations for demand supply and forecasting of global products to multiple regions.
- Demonstrated experience successfully working within a highly matrixed environment especially with regard to influencing sales and business team members with global accounts and distribution partners who are the direct responsibility of other SBU's.
- Leads by example and sets environment for taking risks within the organization by addressing constraints and enabling resources.
- Inspires others and takes accountability for an innovation pipeline by championing and discerning new and creative approaches.
- Ensures that all services and products provide value for BASF as well as customers in strategic markets.
- Fosters the integration of a diversity of perspectives across the organization resulting in development of high performing teams and output.
- Involves, trusts and optimizes a diverse, high performing team and creates a vision that fosters a sense of common ownership.
- Individual must possess business acumen, problem solving capability, initiative, strong work ethic, and must be goal oriented. Individual must be able to effectively influence others both directly and indirectly. Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, presentation) required.
- Demonstrated experience in financial and operational analysis, developing and implementing legal contracts, and customer pricing negotiations experience is a necessity.
Leadership Expectations:As a leader at BASF, you will play a key role in creating value for the company through people. Our top candidate will be expected to enable greater personal success among our employees through quality people development, coaching, and performance management. Leaders at BASF are role models to help employees develop the competencies needed to implement BASF's strategy. Our expectation is that leaders will coach and develop team members to reach their full potential, and support relevant development assignments, opportunities and moves while motivating and challenging employees to drive high performance. Our leaders must be committed to "hiring the best" internally and externally at the same time they are creating an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity. Finally, a leader at BASF must establish and support our safety culture in which all accidents are preventable.
Primary Location: US-NJ-Florham Park
Function: SALE - Sales
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Organization: N-EMN-Care Chemicals NA