Who We Are
"The advancement of science should be the chief concern of a nation that would conserve and increase the welfare of its people."
-James McKeen Cattell, former AAAS President and Editor of Science
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people. For over a century, AAAS has been a force for science, from helping to establish science as a credible field in the 19th century to using satellite imaging technology to document human rights abuses in 2007. We are recognized as the world’s largest general scientific society and the proud publisher of the Science family of journals. Past presidents have included astronomer Edward Charles Pickering, anthropologist Margaret Mead, and biologist Stephen Jay Gould. Our mission is centered on the belief that STEM research and education can help solve many of the challenges the world faces today.
AAAS is a culture steeped in history, but adaptive to change and new ideas. We recognize the hard work of our employees and encourage the development of our staff. Our colleagues represent an array of expertise from scholarly publishing to digital marketing, educational research to government relations, all with a shared focus on mission. At AAAS, you are part of a talented team, dedicated to advancing science and serving society.
Work With Us
We have an exciting opportunity for a full-time Marketing Manager to work on membership acquisition, engagement, career development, and retention activities within our Marketing department in Washington, DC.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or a related field and at least 5 years of relevant experience in a marketing environment. The successful candidate will be able to manage multiple large-scale campaigns simultaneously, effectively jumping between projects, and will make an impact on the execution of key membership-related marketing campaigns.
Interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter by February 23, 2017.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all marketing activities to support member recruitment and retention efforts
- Develops, launches, and measures new ways to message the importance of science including print (direct mail), email, digital, web and social media and telemarketing
- Uses creativity and progressive strategies to present ideas to Membership team in a collaborative manner
- Partners with the creative team to develop campaigns and manages external vendors from printers to list brokers
- Uses project management to organize all projects and ensures all outreaches are developed and deployed on time and within budget
- Works to expand the ROI from trade shows through developing creative marketing campaigns, sponsorships, and lead generating programs