JOB TITLE: Marketing Manager
DEPARTMENT: Professional Practice
REPORTS TO: Director, Membership & Professional Development
FSLA STATUS: Exempt
HOURS: 8:30 to 5:00 (30 minute lunch)
EDUCATION, TRAINING REQUIREMENTS AND PREFERENCES:
Bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing, communication or business and three years’ experience in direct marketing and creative management, including strategy, branding, print, web, and production, and social media marketing, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Non-profit experience preferred.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills, including ability to write copy for print, online, marketing deliverables, and solicitation pieces, and to make effective oral presentations.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to work well under pressure, meet deadlines, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Effective leadership and interpersonal, customer service, and volunteer management skills. Must possess the ability to function effectively; independently, and within a team environment; with all levels of NSPE staff and members, including volunteer leaders, vendors and the general public.
- Effective marketing and management skills to include membership, conferences, affinity programs and products
- Computer literacy, including extensive experience with MS office, email marketing, and content generation.
- Ability to manage and develop a budget, manage expenses and revenues, and create regular forecasts of financial information.
- Strong sales including experience with working with volunteers, vendors, and corporate clients.
- Ability to work well under pressure, meet deadlines, and manage multiple projects without losing effectiveness or reducing quality.
- Ability to travel (approximately 5 days per year plus travel time).
- Lead effective marketing promotions throughout the organization. Work closely with internal departments on promotion strategy, goals and budget; lead marketing projects from conception to production, including creative briefs, copywriting/editing, layout/design, routing for appropriate approvals, printing and/or web posting, and results tracking and reporting. Coordinate with webmaster and editorial staff for appropriate postings on NSPE.org or in other NSPE publications. Assist in development of marketing plans and metrics to assist departments in meeting their goals.
- Member/Customer Assessment. Conduct periodic assessments of membership and conference attendees to determine current and future value and benefits of NSPE. Conduct exit surveys using technology on a scheduled basis to determine why members have left NSPE.
- National Membership Development & Retention. Work with the Director to design, develop and implement membership initiatives to grow NSPE membership annual through direct mail, email and social media marketing.
- State Society Membership Development. Work closely with Director, state societies and chapters with joint and independent membership recruitment and retention programs by providing support and maintaining regular contact to drive state membership growth annually. Assist in coordinating requests for membership resources and NSPE materials from state staff and state and chapter membership chairs. Handle requests from the states for resources as needed to implement and maintain systematic membership development and recruitment. Assist in the regular contact and follow-up with states to ensure successful state membership campaigns.
- Products/Services & Member Benefits. Assist in product design and development through market research, member-needs assessment, and evaluation of current products and services. Manage products and services catalog online. Provide analysis of sales, fulfillment costs, ROI and make recommendations for updating the product offerings. Maintain positive relationships and communications with publishers, fulfillment vendors, partners on specific products (e.g. EJCDC).
- Sponsorships. Act as day to day contact for event sponsorships. Work closely with Manager of Education and meetings to develop sponsorship opportunities for events and programs, monitor sales, and collateral, and signage during conferences.
- Budget Management. Work with Director and internal departments to develop and manage an annual operating budget. Use the general ledger to track revenue and expenses monthly. Create and disseminate spreadsheet reports and other financial statements.
- Affinity Programs. Assess potential new affinity partnerships and act as liaison between NSPE and affinity partners. Manage regular communications with partner contacts and identify NSPE member benefits growth opportunities where appropriate. Maintain current partner information on website and supporting materials as appropriate. Work with Director to review vendor contracts annually and re-negotiate as appropriate. Develop a written marketing plan for each program and provide list management to each vendor as requested.
- All other responsibilities as assigned.