Summary of Position:
This position assists all areas of the College in crafting key messages for various communication vehicles consistent with the college's brand and strategic initiatives with special emphasis on: marketing communication/promotional writing, advertising, writing for the web, and feature story writing. The position consults with campus partners and serves on collaborative creative teams. The person will develop and update editorial standards and brand voice guidelines.
- Conceptualizes, writes, and/or edits (to include writing original copy, compiling/repurposing existing copy, rewriting portions of partner-prepared copy, and editing partner-prepared copy for content, tone, style, grammar, completeness, institutional messages and identity, harmony with communications plan objectives, and state and federal regulatory compliance) copy for a variety of projects including but not limited to a wide variety of admissions/enrollment and Institutional Advancement marketing materials including direct mail, advertising, publications, and the institution's website. Conceptualizes, researches, creates, presents, and makes adjustments to copy for publicity and marketing materials including printed publications, electronic publications, websites, other electronic media, advertising, direct mail, and collateral materials.
- Consults with campus partners to identify marketing copywriting needs, audiences, and objectives, and to evaluate current publications for effectiveness and recommend alternatives where appropriate. Develops promotional messaging to ensure that marketing and branding materials effectively support strategic institutional goals. Maintains consistency of brand voice across various communication platforms, both print and online.
- Serves on creative teams comprising graphic designers, web specialists, videographers, photographers, copywriters, and editors. Works collaboratively with colleagues within Marketing Communication and across campus.
- Establishes tone and content for marketing communication efforts, develops and maintains editorial standards in partnership with the communications copywriter, and communicates editorial guidelines and brand messaging standards to college departments to ensure consistency in marketing materials.
- Researches, interviews, writes, edits, and proofs biographical profiles, informational and historical articles, announcements of College/student/alumni distinctions and achievements, College overview statements, and College events, etc.
- Serves as the final check-point before publication or release of assigned publications, ads, and web content to ensure the brand story is illuminated through the copy while also being accurate and correct; ensure the consistent telling of the Augsburg brand story through tone, voice, accuracy, consistency, and quality.
- Manages multiple and competing priorities to ensure timely delivery of critical projects; requires an understanding of how projects relate to the broad strategic goals of the university and of the department.
- As assigned, coordinates and ensures timely publication of periodic College communications including, but not limited to, daily A-mail, Augsburg Now magazine, and event and calendar listings.
Additional Examples of Work Performed:
- Support department efforts to enhance College-wide capability in the effective use of communication vehicles and content management tools.
- Represent Augsburg Marketing and Communication to other departments, to college administration, and to outside constituents.
- Conduct periodic analysis of web, social media, email marketing, and direct marketing metrics to support strategic marketing planning.
- All other duties as apparent or assigned by supervisor(s).
- Bachelor's degree in communication, journalism, public relations, English or a concentration in writing.
- 1+ years of relevant experience required; experience in an internal or external agency environment preferred.
- Proven ability in marketing/advertising copywriting.
- Ability to successfully work as part of a team as well as independently with little supervision.
- Ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment with superb attention to detail.
- Knowledge of writing styles for marketing/communication, feature stories, and web.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong organizational skills, strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a diverse work environment.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to reason/analyze, maintain confidentiality, and demonstrate patience.
- Ability to show initiative, organize workflow, manage multiple projects at one time and handle frequent interruptions.