Carnegie Mellon University is a private, global research university that challenges the curious and passionate to deliver work that matters. Our world-class institution has distinctive areas of excellence and a culture marked by passion, ambition and a deep, practical engagement with challenges facing society. We continue to produce talented alumni and draw faculty and staff eager to be a part of the university's creative, dedicated and close-knit community. We place emphasis on practical problem solving, interdisciplinary learning, an entrepreneurial spirit, and collaboration.
CMU is seeking a senior front-end developer who will report to the Associate Director, Online Strategy. As a part of the Marketing & Communications division, you will serve a critical function in the Online Strategy team. The primary role of this position, in collaboration with additional designers and developers, is to create a dynamic and inspiring experience for users on cmu.edu. The site is in the midst of a major transformation, and we're looking for a passionate, hands-on front-end developer to build on the preliminary work and to use cutting-edge technologies to take it even further.
- Develop stunning, innovative and user-focused websites and CMS templates
- Create compelling interfaces using a range of front-end technologies, with progressive enhancement and graceful degradation in mind
- Execute thorough QA and ensure functionality and accessibility for all users, anywhere
- Work with visual designers to support user experience, visual design language and branding
- Interpret design and UX assets (wireframes, comps) as code
- Be an advocate for user-centered design
The right person for this position will demonstrate a high level of integrity, trustworthiness, respect and team collaboration. You will be expected to work independently and collaboratively, and to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. We are seeking a self-motivated individual who can take initiative and who loves to take ownership of projects, help others, and share tips and tricks with the rest of the team. You should have excellent written and oral communications skills, exceptional interpersonal skills, strong reasoning, problem-solving and analytical skills, and excellent organizational skills. You should also be comfortable working in a decentralized environment with diverse teams where you will develop strong relationships and work through influence.
Relocation expenses will be considered.
- 8-10 years of front-end development experience with increasing responsibility required
- Bachelor's degree in design, computer science or related field is required
- Experience working on two or more content management systems, Hannon Hill CMS preferred
- Other web development frameworks, especially PHP
- Database work, especially MySQL
- Package management (i.e. npm)
- Webservices (i.e. JSON)
- Exposure to basic LAMP stack server administration tasks
- Exposure to other object oriented programming languages
- Visual design, including experience with tools such as Photoshop and Illustrator
Please visit Why Carnegie Mellon to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world. http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/why-cmu/index.html. A listing of employee benefits is available at: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/index.html.
Since its founding in 1900, CMU has engaged deeply with practitioners and partners in the public and private sectors, from Silicon Valley to Broadway. In 2014 alone, CMU's vibrant innovation ecosystem created 36 spinoff companies. CMU has more than 350 corporate partners, relationships that attracted companies such as Google, Apple, Intel, Disney, Uber, GE, Boeing, and Tata Consultancy Services to Pittsburgh. The university makes a significant contribution to the regional economy while it enriches the area's cultural and civic life. CMU graduates are some of the most highly sought-after recruits in emerging fields, finding success and blazing new trails in their careers.
Carnegie Mellon University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.